Sarah KnieserFeb 17, 2026 3 min read

Shia LaBeouf Arrested After Mardi Gras Brawl

Shia LaBeouf
AP Images

Actor Shia LaBeouf was arrested early Tuesday morning in New Orleans after allegedly striking two people during a disturbance amid Mardi Gras celebrations, according to police.

The 39 year old actor was taken into custody following an incident outside a business on Royal Street, the New Orleans Police Department said.

Alleged Altercation on Royal Street

Police said LaBeouf was kicked out of the business after causing a disturbance. Authorities detailed the incident in a news release.

"Once removed from the building, the victim reported being struck by LaBeouf who used his closed fists on the victim several times," police said. "The victims reported that LaBeouf left, but then came back, acting even more aggressive."

Shia La Beouf
Wikimedia Commons / John Bauld / CC 2.0

According to police, multiple people attempted to hold him down and then released him so he could leave. However, LaBeouf allegedly struck the same victim again in the upper body.

"LaBeouf then reportedly assaulted another person — punching him in the nose," police said. "LaBeouf was again held down until police arrived."

The actor was transported to a hospital for treatment of what police described as unknown injuries. He was arrested upon his release from the hospital and charged with two counts of simple battery, according to police and online records.

Authorities said it is not clear what circumstances led to the altercation.

Prior Legal Issues

The Mardi Gras arrest is not LaBeouf’s first encounter with law enforcement.

In 2020, his former partner, British singer FKA Twigs, filed a lawsuit accusing him of "relentless abuse," including choking her and knowingly giving her a sexually transmitted disease. The case was settled out of court last year after FKA Twigs dropped the lawsuit with prejudice.

FKA Twigs in concert in 2015. | Wikimedia Commons / Andreas Meixensperger / CC 2.0
FKA Twigs in concert in 2015. | Wikimedia Commons / Andreas Meixensperger / CC 2.0

At the time of the lawsuit, LaBeouf said he had no excuses for his "alcoholism or aggression, only rationalizations."

“I have been abusive to myself and everyone around me for years," he said at the time. "I have a history of hurting the people closest to me. I’m ashamed of that history and am sorry to those I hurt."

In 2017, LaBeouf was arrested in Georgia on suspicion of public drunkenness and made racist remarks toward police officers, according to reports. He later pleaded guilty to obstruction and received a year of probation. The public drunkenness charge was dropped.

In 2014, he was charged with disorderly conduct, criminal trespass and harassment after disrupting a Broadway play. He pleaded guilty, according to The Associated Press.

The investigation into the New Orleans incident remains ongoing.


Curious for more stories that keep you informed and entertained? From the latest headlines to everyday insights, YourLifeBuzz has more to explore. Dive into what’s next.

Explore by Topic