Hunter Tierney Aug 21, 2026 5 min read

The D-Backs Couldn’t Find Marte When They Needed Him Most

May 25, 2026; San Francisco, California, USA; Arizona Diamondbacks second baseman Ketel Marte (4) gestures as he scores a run against the San Francisco Giants during the fifth inning at Oracle Park.
Kelley L Cox-Imagn Images

The Diamondbacks showed at Fenway Park on Monday expecting Ketel Marte to be in the lineup, but he never even showed up at the ballpark.

Marte was supposed to be the designated hitter, and Arizona even held off finalizing their lineup until about 20 minutes before first pitch in case he walked through the door. He never did.

They ended up placing him on the restricted list and called up Jose Fernandez from Triple-A Reno. Then they had to try to play a game with one of their biggest stars and leaders M.I.A. and no real explanation as to why.

Arizona Can’t Build A Plan Around “I Don’t Know”

There are really two pieces to Marte’s absence here, and right now the Diamondbacks don’t have a clean way to connect them.

On the baseball side, it started pretty straightforward. Marte left Friday’s game in Atlanta with left knee soreness, sat out Saturday, then was right back at second base on Sunday. Then Monday happened.

By Tuesday, nothing had really changed. Lovullo still hadn’t actually spoken to Marte directly and could only pass along that he’d been told the 32-year-old was heading back to Phoenix for an MRI. Even when asked why that couldn’t be done in Boston, there wasn’t an answer to give.

I don't know when we'll have more answers

Since then, Marte’s agent has said he’s dealing with a personal matter and is scheduled for the MRI on Thursday. Geraldo Perdomo, who’s as close to him as anyone in that clubhouse, also mentioned Marte told him the knee had been bothering him since the All-Star break.

So there is a medical piece here. But it still doesn’t really explain the part everyone is stuck on — the no-show in Boston.

That’s where the restricted list comes in. It’s basically the team’s way of saying a player is unavailable for non-baseball reasons, so they can open up a roster spot and keep things moving. Marte's still under contract, but while he’s on that list, he’s not on the active roster and doesn’t get paid.

The Standings Aren’t Waiting For An Explanation

Arizona Diamondbacks second baseman Ketel Marte (4) celebrates after sweeping the Los Angeles Dodgers 3-0 to win the NLDS at Chase Field in Phoenix on Oct. 11, 2023.
Rob Schumacher/The Republic / USA TODAY NETWORK via Imagn Images

The Diamondbacks don’t need every detail of Marte’s personal life out in the open. That’s his business, and he’s absolutely entitled to deal with whatever he’s dealing with away from the spotlight.

But inside the building, they do need something a little more concrete than guesswork. Is this a few days? A few weeks? Or something that stretches deeper into a playoff race that’s already tight enough without any extra uncertainty?

On the field, Marte hasn’t quite looked like himself this year — a .249 average and .760 OPS are both below the bar he's set for himself. Even so, he still leads Arizona with 21 home runs and 67 RBIs. That kind of production doesn’t just get replaced. Sure, Ildemaro Vargas can fill in at second base, and Fernandez can take the roster spot, but neither of them changes the game the way a healthy Marte does when he’s right.

The timing hasn’t helped either. Arizona got punched around 11-1 on Monday, and Torey Lovullo admitted afterward the team’s focus wasn’t where it needed to be on a tough day for everyone involved. Things didn’t get much better Tuesday, with another loss as Boston piled on runs early and often.

To be clear, Marte’s absence didn’t suddenly make the pitching give up 20 runs. That would be too easy of a storyline. But it’s also fair to say the situation was enough of a distraction that Lovullo had to step in, talk to the group, and try to reset the room.

Now the Diamondbacks sit at 66-61, losers of three straight, and two games back of San Diego for the final Wild Card spot in the National League. This is a team that just leaned into the deadline, bringing in Lars Nootbaar, and got Jordan Lawlar and Justin Martinez back on Monday — that was supposed to feel like a sign that things were finally coming together.

Instead, it ended with more questions than answers, and a roster that somehow feels a little less settled than it did a week ago.

This isn’t even the first time Marte has landed on the restricted list. He was there last season after his home was burglarized during the All-Star break, a situation that understandably took priority over baseball. That one eventually got all cleared up. This one still hasn’t.

And that’s really the part that keeps hanging over all of this — the communication gap. It’s hard to ignore.

Arizona committed to Marte through 2030 because they believe he’s one of the players who truly defines what this franchise is trying to be. That kind of investment only works if there’s trust on both sides.

All stats courtesy of MLB.com.


Curious for more stories that keep you informed and entertained? From the latest headlines to everyday insights, YourLifeBuzz has more to explore. Dive into what’s next.

Explore by Topic